So you have just received your new BlackBerry Z10 and have it all fired up and ready to go? All you need to do now is transfer the data from your old BlackBerry to your new one! Or maybe you decided to ditch your iPhone or Android phone to get a BlackBerry? The BlackBerry Link software makes it so much easier to transfer your data!
Transfer data to the Z10 with the BlackBerry Backup Extractor
Once your new BlackBerry Z10 is out of the box, there are many ways you can transfer your data from your old phone. You can do it by BlackBerry Link, by media card or by extracting data from your BlackBerry backup with the BlackBerry Backup Extractor, then import BlackBerry contacts and other data to your phone. Please notice that for a media card transfer, you will need to have BlackBerry 7.0 OS installed on the old phone. So in summary, you can:
- Transfer data to the Z10 by media card (requires BlackBerry OS 7.0 or higher)
- Transfer data with BlackBerry Link (requires BlackBerry OS 5.0 or higher)
- Make a BlackBerry backup of the old phone, extract data with the BlackBerry Backup Extractor and import it to the BlackBerry Z10
Transfer your contacts, files, calendar and memos with BlackBerry Link
There has been a lot of talk about what BlackBerry Link can or cannot do, the truth is BlackBerry Link only moves a part of your data over to the new BlackBerry 10 smartphone. To transfer data with the BlackBerry Link, all you need to do is:
- Download BlackBerry Link onto your computer
- Connect your old device to your computer using a USB cable
- Select what data you want to transfer to the new phone
- Hit "Next" and the existing data will be prepared for transfer
- Connect your new BlackBerry Z10 device (pretty soon we will also see the BBQ10)
- Select your device and the data will be synced to your phone
- Choose what media you want to transfer and you are done
With BlackBerry Link, you can transfer information that was saved to the memory on your old device, including:
- Blackberry contacts, BBM contacts, files (pictures, music, documents)
- Calendar items, tasks and memos
- Browser bookmarks and folders, alarm/clock settings
- Text/SMS/MMS/PIN messages, phone call logs
- WLAN Profiles (for non-enterprise networks), Password Keeper entries
BlackBerry Link will NOT transfer
- Data that is backed up wirelessly, or synchronized with an online account (such as Gmail or Hotmail)
- Records synchronized with BlackBerry Enterprise Server (includes contacts and calendar entries)
- Tasks and memos are only transferred if your old BlackBerry smartphone was not activated on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- Data saved on your SIM card that has not been saved to device memory or media card before the transfer
To obtain the missing records you need to add the email account previously used to synchronize this data. Many users have had trouble because of this option and unfortunately, transferring data by adding email accounts doesn't always work.
The BlackBerry Link is not only useful for transferring data to the Z10. It's also great software to backup and restore your phone.
As always, we advise users to regularly back-up their BlackBerry to prevent from losing data. BlackBerry backups made with BlackBerry Desktop Manager are stored locally on your computer and can be accessed with the BlackBerry Backup Extractor. Play safe!
Have you moved over to BlackBerry Z10 using BlackBerry Link yet? Was it a smooth switch or did you have any trouble?